Notarial Services

Documents we notarise

At Ramsay & Co we notarise a range of documents, provide a legalisation service and can arrange translation if necessary.

  • Powers of Attorney: one of the most frequent documents we notarise – more info below in FAQ section
  • Permission for children to travel abroad
  • Adoption documents and verification
  • Passport photos and true likeness certificates
  • Change of name Statutory Declarations
  • Property documents such as Contracts, Declarations of Solvency and Property Transfer Documents
  • Oaths and Affidavits
  • Immigration or sponsorship forms
  • Residence certificates
  • Certified copies of passports
  • Certified translations
  •  Notarising cross border private agreements

And the many other deeds and documents that require to be Notarised including (but not limited to): Deed Polls, Religious Documents, Foreign Property Deeds and Contracts, Court Documents, Export Certificates, Disclosure Documents, Wills, Dispositions, Travel Documents and more.

Educational Qualifications
We notarise a lot of documents for students such as degrees, certificates, passports, GMC documents, transcripts, SQA, diplomas, awards, Association of British language Schools etc.

Irish Citizenship
We regularly notarise documents for people claiming Irish Citizenship. You may be eligible to do this if a grandparent was born on the Island of Ireland (North or South). You would first of all register eligibility for Irish Citizenship and then apply for a Passport. You will need to provide the Birth, Marriage and Death Certificates for people along the chain to the grandparent and the changes of names or adoptions. You can then apply to register as an Irish Citizen. At this stage, you might need a Notary Public. Once this has been granted you can apply for a Passport. This costs about £70 for ten years and, again, you require a Notary Public at this stage. Normally the total cost of applying for Irish Citizenship and a Passport is about £500. The process time for Citizenship is about six to eight months and a Passport about two months. We can help you with the notarisation and certification of any documents or photographs.


We are happy to Notarise Marriage Certificates, Birth Certificates, Certificates of no Impediment, Divorce Applications, Confirmation of Single Status, Affidavits, Civil Partnership Certificates and more.


Legalisation is process where the independent authority of a Notary Public is certified by the Government of the country in which the Notary practices.

We, at Ramsay & Co, can undertake this process for you via the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) at Milton Keynes. The FCO attach an ‘Apostille’ to the Document or Deed; this confirms that the Signature, Seal and stamp of the Notary Public are authentic.

It is possible to get documents legalised yourself – Visit: Foreign and Commonwealth Office

Consular Legalisation: In order to be valid outside the UK, certain documents and deeds need this extra process; for example, documents for China, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the Middle East generally. Each embassy makes differing charges, some discriminate between commercial and private documents. For example: if you are opening a branch office or bank account in Dubai; this is considered a commercial transaction. The legalisation fee is £520 per document!

We can advise or arrange the process for you; if you wish to discuss matters – please contact us. Click here for more information on specific country requirements. 

Additional Legal Services

In 2005, Mike Ramsay made a conscious decision to include a property side to his solicitor’s practice. This was to reflect the improvement of the local area and to exploit the proximity of the office to the West End and in particular; Byres Road.

“The shop front gives us the opportunity to display properties for sale on one of the busiest roads in Glasgow”

Find out more at Ramsay & Co Legal Services

FAQ - Your questions, answered.

The notary needs to ensure that you understand the full legally binding nature and scope of the documents you are signing. If your document is not in English, and you or the notary is not familiar with the language in question, then a translation will be required. Conversely, a document in English, with an apostille attached, becomes acceptable as being legally valid. However, this may be counterproductive if the authority in question cannot understand the contents of the document! In such matters the usual procedure is to use a Power of Attorney.

An essential part of the notarisation process is that of identification. So, we know you are who you say you are, we require to see, and make a copy of, passport or driving licence and one proof of address (i.e. a bank statement or utility bill).

A power of attorney (POA) is an authority given by an individual (known as the Granter) to another person(s) (known as the Attorney) to deal with the Granter’s affairs. This could relate to financial matters or welfare matters within Scotland, the United Kingdom or overseas matters.

MIKE SAYS: “As a notary, I am frequently presented with POAs; often in connection with people buying or selling property abroad. And often for companies opening branch offices overseas. The usual procedure is for a competent lawyer to be appointed in the country where the property or new office is located. The lawyer will send me the POA – usually in English, or in the case of the lengthy French POA – in dual column format. This really speeds the whole process up”

Click for more information about by Powers relating to the Granter’s financial/property affairs are known as “continuing powers”.

Zapewniamy obsługę wykwalifikowanego polskiego tłumacza. Wszelkie pytania proszę pisać po polsku na nasz email lub dzwonić na numer telefonu 0784 932 4881.